Best Practices to protect your computer system
The following are best practices that you should take to protect your computer system:
- Verify that security patches, anti-virus, and anti-spyware software are kept up to date
- Ensure that you have a firewall that is properly configured
- Never open a suspicious email
- Be especially wary of opening files that end in .exe
- Safeguard your password
- Encrypt the hard drive of your laptop to protect contents in case it is lost or stolen
- If you are using a wireless connection:
- Change the default network name (SSID) and password
- Avoid connecting to a public Wi-Fi location
Take the E-mail Safety Test
- So you know the sender?
- Have you safely received emails from this sender before?
- Were you expecting an email with an attachment from this sender?
- Does it make logical sense that the sender would send the e-mail, especially if it offers an attachment or a link?
- Could it contain a virus? The only way to know this is to have an anti-virus program installed.
Copyright © 2023
NMLS ID# 419878