BluePay merchants may have been the target of a recent email phishing attempt from an email address of firstname.lastname@example.org
BluePay Security has taken steps to protect against this threat and will continue to monitor the situation.
The phishing email contains the following information:
We regret to inform you that your merchant account has been locked.
To continue using our services please call our tool free number 866-410-3984 and update your information.
Please be ready with your Merchant ID and Terminal ID number.
Impact on User:
If you are the recipient of a phishing e-mail attempt, delete the message immediately. Do not click on the links or open any attachments included in the message and do not call the phone number on the email.
Your awareness is essential for protection against these malicious attempts, so:
- Ensure your virus definitions are up-to-date.
- Always contact Customer Service if you receive a suspicious message from BluePay, before you follow any of its instructions.
- Check the validity of embedded URLs before clicking on them; most e-mail software, including Outlook, many versions of Thunderbird, and Web mail, allows you to mouse over a URL and view where the link is really directed. Do not click on unknown or suspicious URLs.
- Be wary of messages with suspicious or awkward language.
- Delete messages you confirmed to be phishing attempts.
- Do not open emails or email attachments from people or groups you are unfamiliar with or who do not typically send email messages to you.
- BluePay will never send you an email requesting you to enter your account credentials.
- If you are ever uncertain about your BluePay account, please contact Customer Service.
If you have questions, please contact Customer Service at 866-739-8324.